Holochain Developer Training, October 2023
Learn how to design, develop, and deploy Holochain apps in 4 days
Holochain Developer Training
- Interactive, proven course format taught by world-class instructors
- Vetted, intimate cohort of experienced developers
- Online training course—join us from home or office
- Holochain fundamentals, data structures, and APIs
- Full and partial scholarships available
Build web3 apps
Holochain is an open-source framework for developing peer-to-peer applications that hit a sweet spot of security, reliability, and performance. It is poised to extend the capacities of blockchain by providing a framework for rapid and easy web3 app development. Together we can help create a new web that supports the technical, social, and economic coordination that today's world demands.
Seeking full-stack devs who know Rust and are ready to:
- Develop immediate skill in building distributed Holochain apps
- Improve their peer-to-peer software architecture and design skills
- Build Holochain apps with a small group of like-minded, experienced developers
- Training Dates: October 2 – 5, 2023
- Build Dates: October 6 – 7, 2023
- Location: Online classroom
- Program Components:
- Individual and group exercises
- Pairing and feedback sessions
- Final projects
Marcus Phillips is a former engineer for Twitter, co-founder of the immersive software engineering school Hack Reactor, and a long-standing advocate for the power of cryptographic systems to create healthier incentives and social coordination.
Guillem Cordoba has been building Holochain applications for several years and actively teaching others how to do the same for nearly as long. He was a lead developer in the most recent community-led Holochain Dev Camp and is passionate about developing applications on Holochain.
Additional members of the Holochain community may be in attendance to contribute as instructors, students, or teaching assistants.
The intention of this course is to prepare you to design, develop, and deploy Holochain apps. The intensive four day training will run each day from 10:30am to 6:30pm, Eastern Standard Time (EST). The build dates will also be during the day in EST.
- Holochain fundamentals
- Holochain dev environment
- Basic HDK functions
- Source chains
- Anchors and paths
- Capability tokens and P2P function calls
- Validation rules
At the end of the program, you'll be able to:
- Develop Holochain applications in a clean, simple, and robust manner
- Think and reason about distributed systems from an agent-centric perspective
- Understand the Holochain development environment and know how to navigate it efficiently
- Package and release your own Holochain applications
- Architect small to medium Holochain applications
- Basic ability to write, compile, and run Rust code will be necessary for following the coding exercises.
- Familiarity with developer tools such as the command line, Git, and an IDE or code editor such as Visual Studio Code will be needed for various hands-on exercises.
- Basic knowledge of web-based front-end development will be instrumental in helping you create, test, and demo an app. You don’t need to be a UX expert; this course is primarily about understanding Holochain itself.
- Good collaborative and interpersonal skills; this is a co-learning environment.
How much Rust experience do you need?
As the Holochain framework is built on Rust, this course assumes some familiarity with the language in order to fully participate.
If you’ve been programming for a while but don’t know Rust, we have Rust study resources that you can use to prepare for the tech check section of our application process.
- Review chapters 1–11 in the Rust Book
- Do the accompanying Rustlings exercises
- Get extra practice doing some easy to medium Leetcode problems
Pricing & Scholarships
Our pricing and scholarships reflect our values, goals, and stage-of-development. We’re partnering with Mythothesia’s experienced developer education team who have facilitated many training programs. We’re offering this online course at a competitive price to grow our developer community and support the many projects seeking qualified Holochain developers.
- Refundable deposit: $100 USD
- Full cost: $1100 USD
Full & Partial Scholarships Available
We are offering a range of scholarships to help increase access for qualified students of all backgrounds. Please let us know what you need, so we can start a conversation and direct our scholarship funds appropriately.
Important attributes include:
- Candidate is likely to be very successful in both learning and contributing
- Candidate fits the needs of an emerging ecosystem of Holochain developers - in interests, passions, and future goals
You can request a scholarship at the end of the application process.
More about Holochain, Holo, and Mythosthesia
- Holochain is delivering the technical foundations of web3 to support thriving, regenerative, creative communities and economies.
- Holo hosting connects Holochain's serverless peer-to-peer apps to the centralized Internet by making Holochain apps available in browsers. The Holo network is hosted by thousands of people using their own micro-servers who are paid in cryptocurrency for their efforts.
- Mythosthesia is Holochain's Educational Partner focused on designing and delivering world-class developer trainings.
The Fine Print
- We plan to inform accepted applicants by 18 Sep 2023.
- The selection process includes the initial application plus a live interview via Zoom, and requires full acceptance of the Terms and Conditions.
- We're seeking engaged and committed developers—thus the $100 deposit! This deposit will be fully refunded in the event that your application is not accepted.
- Scholarships and supporting funds are available! They will prioritize program fit, as determined by our applicant questionnaire and an initial interview process. Please request a scholarship at the end of the application form. Please note: Scholarships cannot be applied to the application deposit itself.
- This is not a beginner programming course; we expect devs to come with a sound understanding of traditional full-stack programming and Rust. For experienced Devs willing to self-learn Rust before the training, we will send Rust study resources before the tech check which is a part of the class evaluation process.